Common Carpet Stains and How to Get Rid of Them
Between professional carpet cleanings from ZeroRez, our customers will find common household stains on their carpets and area rugs. We know you don't want to use harsh chemicals or solvents to clean your home, so we've compiled a list of DIY remedies for common carpet stains and how to remove them.
1. Immediately soak stain in soda water if available;
2. Blot stain carefully with a clean and damp cloth;
3. Cover stain with sea salt;
4. Cover with a towel soaked in natural enzyme cleaner overnight;
5. Blot dry and vacuum spot in the morning.
1. Cover the stained area with a stain stick (the type used to keep stains setting into clothing);
2. Allow to sit for 10 minutes;
3. Scrub carefully with a damp washcloth;
4. If the stain doesn't come out completely, use an old toothbrush and dish detergent to erase the rest.
Mud, food, latex paint or pet stains
1. Clean excess stain with a dry cloth or paper towel;
2. Mix a cleaning solution of a quarter teaspoon of white vinegar with two pints of warm water;
3. Apply homemade solution to effected area liberally;
4. Scrub clean with damp cloth;
5. Repeat as necessary.
Blood, or pet vomit
1. Clean up as much of the surface stain as possible;
2. Mix one tablespoon of ammonia with one cup of water;
3. Apply liberally to the stain and wait 10 minutes;
4. Scrub heavily with a sponge, washcloth or dry paper towel;
5. Repeat as necessary.
1. Preheat clothing iron to warm setting;
2. Place a paper towel or old, dry T-shirt over the area of the carpet with the wax;
3. Iron the paper towel or cloth over the affected area;
4. Remove the covering quickly and repeat, if necessary, with another paper towel or cloth. Every time the iron passes, more of the wax should come up.
1. Use plenty of ice to freeze the gum until it is as firm as you can make it;
2. Shatter gum with a spoon or hammer;
3. Vaccum the area quickly before the segments of gum begin to soften.
1. Apply cornstarch liberally over the stain;
2. Allow to sit for 30-60 minutes;
3. Rinse area with clean water and press firmly with a clean towel to absorb all remaining moisture.
If none of these remedies work, you can always count on ZeroRez to get your carpets clean and odor-free. We only use green technology, unlike any other carpet cleaners in Las Vegas. Contact us for professional Las Vegas carpet cleaning you can trust.
Please note: You are following these instructions at your own risk. If you have doubts, please contact a professional carpet cleaner who can properly assess the situation and advise appropriately. Any type of aggressive scrubbing or rubbing can permanently distort and damage the carpet fibers. If more agitation is needed, use an adjustable spray bottle to spray with more force. Please test all solutions on an inconspicuous spot for color loss/fiber damage - to do this, spray the solution on a rag and hold the rag with the spotter on a spot for a period of at least 10 seconds. Check the towel for color that transferred from the carpet, and check the carpet for any distortions or discoloration that may occur.
Learn How to Remove the Pet Urine Odor from your Carpet and Furniture here!