How Professionals Clean a Couch & Why It's Worth the Cost
How do you know when it's time to get the couch cleaned by professionals? Is it when the stains won't go away, or the smells of the couch are just too strong to ignore?
If you're wondering if your stained couch is salvageable with a good cleaning, read on for our top tips.
How much is it to professionally clean a couch?
One of the biggest reasons that people don't hire a professional to clean their couch, is they think they can clean their own couches, without the high cleaning cost for couches. Some worry the cost to clean the couch will be more than the cost of the couch itself, but this isn't always the case, especially if you have a nice couch.
The cost of cleaning the couch should be factored into the necessity of keeping the couch. Most people have the couch in their home because it matches the rest of their furniture pieces, goes well with the decor, or fits perfectly with the layout of their home. They also have couches because they use them often and enjoy how comfortable they are to sit on!
Couches typically are a larger home expense, so keeping them clean and freshened up will ensure they last longer, feel good, don't smell, and let's you avoid paying thousands of dollars to replace them sooner than you'd like.
There are a few things to consider when it comes to deciding to have a couch professionally cleaned and its cost:
- Size of the Couch: Larger couches will generally cost more to clean than smaller ones. Sectional sofas or couches with multiple cushions may also incur higher costs.
- Type of Fabric: The fabric of the couch plays a significant role in determining the cleaning cost. Delicate or specialty fabrics may require more careful handling and can result in a higher price.
- Additional Services: If your couch has specific issues such as deep stains, pet odors, or extensive soiling, additional services may be needed, and these can add to the overall cost.
- Geographic Location: Prices for professional services can vary based on the cost of living and demand in your specific location. Urban areas or regions with higher living expenses may have higher service fees.
- Cleaning Method: Different cleaning methods, such as steam cleaning or dry cleaning, may come with varying price tags. The method chosen often depends on the fabric type and the cleaning requirements.
- Professional Company vs. Individual Cleaner: Hiring a professional cleaning company may cost more than hiring an individual cleaner, but companies often come with insurance, trained technicians, and a reputation for quality service.
- Guarantees: Does the company offer a satisfaction guarantee on their service? Zerorez® upholstery cleaning offers a 30-day Gotta-Love-It Guarantee® which ensures your couch is cleaned to your satisfaction, at no additional cost for a reclean.
- If You're Keeping the Couch: Do you want to keep this couch in your home for a while? If so, keeping it clean, odor-free, and comfortable is important for long-term longevity. If you clean it yourself, you risk doing it wrong, damaging the fibers or integrity of the couch.
- If You're Selling the Couch: Even if you're going to sell the couch, listing a couch for sale that professionals have cleaned will likely result in a quicker sale and higher price point than not getting it cleaned properly. People love knowing that germs and stains are removed by experts, giving them a used but clean couch right from the time of purchase. This is one less step that the new owners will have to stress about or pay for themselves.
It's advisable to obtain quotes from multiple cleaning services in your area to get a better understanding of the costs. You can get a free quote online when you start the scheduling process at Zerorez.com.
Additionally, ask about the specific services included in the price and whether there are any additional charges for special treatments or spot removal. Always choose a reputable and experienced professional like Zerorez to ensure the best results and to protect your couch from potential damage during the cleaning process.
Why Should you Hire a Professional to Clean Your Couch?
Hiring a professional to clean your couch offers several advantages, ensuring a thorough and effective cleaning process. Here are some compelling reasons to consider hiring a professional for couch cleaning:
- Expertise and Experience: Professional cleaners have the knowledge and experience to assess different types of fabrics and determine the most suitable cleaning methods. Their expertise helps avoid potential damage that can occur with DIY cleaning attempts.
- Specialized Equipment: Professional cleaning services use specialized equipment designed for upholstery cleaning. This equipment is more powerful and effective than typical consumer-grade cleaning tools, resulting in a deeper and more thorough clean, and dryer furniture.
- Tailored Cleaning Solutions: Professionals can tailor their cleaning approach to suit the specific needs of your couch, taking into consideration the fabric type, color, and any existing stains. This personalized approach ensures optimal results without compromising the integrity of the material.
- Stain Removal Expertise: Dealing with stubborn stains requires specific knowledge and techniques. Professional cleaners are equipped to tackle a variety of stains effectively, increasing the likelihood of successful removal without causing damage to the fabric.
- Time and Convenience: Cleaning a couch can be a time-consuming task, particularly if it involves deep cleaning or multiple steps. Hiring professionals saves you time and effort, allowing you to focus on other priorities while experts handle the cleaning process.
- Preservation of Fabric Quality: Professional cleaning helps extend the life of your couch by preserving the quality of the fabric. Proper cleaning methods and products prevent deterioration, fading, or weakening of the material over time.
- Health and Hygiene: Over time, upholstery can accumulate allergens, dust mites, and other contaminants. Professional cleaning not only removes visible dirt but also addresses these hidden particles, contributing to a healthier and cleaner living environment.
- Effective Odor Removal: If your couch has developed unpleasant odors, professionals can use specialized products and techniques to effectively eliminate odors and leave your furniture smelling fresh.
- Insurance and Guarantee: Reputable professional cleaning services often provide insurance coverage for any accidental damage that may occur during the cleaning process. Additionally, many offer guarantees or warranties on their services, providing peace of mind.
- Customized Maintenance Plans: Professionals can offer advice on regular maintenance and cleaning schedules to keep your couch in optimal condition. This guidance can prevent the need for extensive cleaning in the future.
By investing in professional couch cleaning, you not only enhance the appearance and lifespan of your furniture but also ensure a hygienic and healthy living environment for you and your family.
How often should I get my couch professionally cleaned?
The basic guideline on how often to clean a couch professionally is once per year, though sources some recommend every 6 months. It will depend on a few factors, like if the couch is dirty or stained or has a ton of use and wear. Look for signs that your couch needs to be cleaned, and pay attention to those signs. Some reasons to clean your couch more than once yearly could include:
- Spills and stains
- Pet urine stains
- Pet odors and excessive fur
- Smoke smells or stains
- Dirt and mud stains
- Excessive use
- Matted fibers/diminished softness
And those are just a few of the reasons!
The type of fabric on the couch can make a big difference as well in how often and when the couch should be cleaned. Fabric couches may need more cleaning and upkeep than microfiber couches due to the texture and absorbency of the fabric.
You may also have certain conditions like sensitivity to allergens or even just a preference for clean couches that would lend to you cleaning your couch more often, or more consistently.
How do professionals clean couches?
Not all professional couch cleaners clean couches the same way, but the best method is hot water extraction (also commonly called steam cleaning).
At Zerorez, the process of cleaning couches is done in a fast and efficient manner, without using harsh detergents or chemicals. With the use of heated, non-toxic Zr™ Water, the dirt is extracted while also cleaning stains and helping to prevent them from coming back. This method of cleaning is safe for kids and pets, and this also means that no one in the house will have to worry about breathing in nasty or harmful chemicals.
Generally, professionals follow the following steps when cleaning couches and other upholstery:
1. Check the Couch's Fabric and Do a Colorfast Test
Professionally cleaners will first identify the fabric type of your couch. This is crucial as different fabrics require specific cleaning methods. They will check the manufacturer's label for cleaning instructions, do a dye bleed test (colorfast test), and inspect its general condition, determining if it can be cleaned without damage.
2. Vacuum Couch Thoroughly:
Professional couch cleaners do a quick vacuuming of the entire couch to remove loose dirt, dust, and debris. They use an upholstery attachment and pay attention to crevices and seams.
3. Apply a Pre-Treatment and Agitate:
The professional sofa cleaners select a high-quality upholstery pre-treatment spray suitable for your couch fabric and spray your furniture with it. They will then agitate the furniture with a horse hair brush (if needed/appropriate). This helps start to break down the dirt and grime deeply embedded in the fabric fibers.
4. Pre-Treat Stains on the Couch:
Treat any visible stains with an appropriate stain remover, gently blotting the stains; avoiding rubbing them to prevent pushing the stain deeper into the fabric.
5. Clean the Couch with Care:
With the correct upholstery cleaning tool, set to the correct low-pressure for your fabric type, professional sofa cleaners like Zerorez will thoroughly loosen, rinse, and suck away all the dirty particles in your upholstery fabric with their powerful trunk mount system. Zerorez does this without soap, detergents, or harsh chemicals so you are left with Zero Residue® which means your upholstery will stay cleaner, longer, as soaps like to attract and hold onto dirt.
6. Groom the Couch's Fabric Pile:
If your cleaner requires rinsing, use a clean, damp cloth to remove any residue. Ensure you don't oversaturate the fabric to prevent water damage.
7. Allow the Couch to Dry:
Professional cleaner use just the right amount of water, and extract the excess away. It's important to allow the couch to air-dry thoroughly, so open windows or use fans to expedite the drying process. Couch couches should be propped up in a tent-like triangle to allow for better airflow. Please, avoid using a hairdryer or direct heat as it may damage certain fabrics.
8. Fluff and Brush the Couch Nap:
Properly fluffing the cushions with a soft brush to restore the fabric's texture and nap is crucial for maintaining the appearance of your couch. If this isn't done right, you can get weird lines on your couch, especially if a velvet couch.
9. Protect and Maintain the Couch's Cleanliness:
These professional couch cleaning steps can revive the look of your furniture and maintain a clean, inviting living space, even if not all stains can be removed.